Party Wall Surveys & Services In London
Like all our property surveys, Barnes & Barnes’ Party Wall Surveys are conducted by RICS registered surveyors and provide an independent and impartial service.
A Party Wall is a dividing partition between two properties, the owners of which have shared responsibility for the wall. Our Party Wall Surveyors are qualified to advise you on a range of Party Wall issues you may be experiencing regarding your property.
Our Surveyors cover the whole London area – including Central London, South East, South West and North London. View a full list of our locations here.
What Is A Party Wall Survey?
Typically, in the case of properties sharing a Party Wall, a Party Wall Surveyor is called upon to aid in the preparation and administration of a Party Wall Award or Agreement, under the Party Wall Act of 1996.
Our Surveyors, acting on behalf of the Building Owner or the Adjacent Owner, assess the nature of the Party Wall and its position in relation to both individual properties, and can provide impartial advice for either party in consideration of planned structural changes or repairs needed.
Do I Need A Party Wall Surveyor?
You may need the advice of our Party Wall Surveyors if you are planning any of the following:
- The construction of a new wall at the boundary of two properties
- Cutting into a Party Wall (for example, removal of a chimney breast or insertion of a steel supporting beam)
- Knocking down or rebuilding an existing Party Wall
- Knocking down or rebuilding a boundary wall under a Line of Junction Notice
- Excavations within 3-6 metres of a neighbouring property’s foundations
Party Wall Notices must be served for any work being done in relation to a Party Wall.
Which Party Wall Notice Do I Need To Serve?
|Party Wall Notice||Situation||Statutory Notice Period|
|Line of Junction Notice||When you are building a new wall as a boundary||1 month|
|Party Structure Notice||If you are carrying out works to a Party Wall or Party Structure||2 months|
|Notice of Adjacent Excavation||If you are digging within 3 metres of your neighbour’s property to a depth lower than their foundations. Or, if you are installing piled foundations within 6 metres of a neighbour’s property||1 month|
What Happens After I Serve A Party Wall Notice?
- Consent to the works: in this instance, a Party Wall Award is not required and you can proceed with your planned work. We would advise that a Schedule Of Condition is prepared, which can assist in any claims process – however, this is optional.
- Dissent to the works and approve their own Surveyor: here, a Party Wall Award is required and you will need to appoint a Party Wall Surveyor. Once a Party Wall Award is in place, the notified works are authorised under specific conditions. For example, if you are forming trenches for your foundations, the Party Wall Award may specify that you must install temporary shoring supports. The Party Wall Award will often also specify that you are responsible for any damage caused to your neighbour’s property – if this clause is included, you are often liable to pay their Party Wall Surveyor’s professional fees as well as your own.
- Dissent to the works and appoint an ‘agreed Surveyor’: here, you and your neighbour agree to appoint a Surveyor to assess the situation. A Party Wall Award is required here, although there is only one Party Wall Surveyor involved acting for both property owners.
Why Should You Choose Barnes & Barnes As Your Party Wall Surveyors?
As independent and impartial RICS Surveyors, we regularly deal with Party Wall matters in varying complexity for both building owners and adjoining owners.
As well as being a regulated firm of Chartered Surveyors, our specialist Party Wall Surveyors are members of both the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors and Pyramus & Thisbe Club.
We always recommend you, as the building owner, maintaining a positive and open relationship with your neighbour to talk over any construction plans prior to serving Party Wall Notices.
Get A Quote
Download Your Free Guide Now :
Our party wall experts answer all your questions about party walls.